I love skillet recipes because you can throw all the ingredients together and only have to clean one pan! This dish is loaded with good ingredients that will keep you fueled throughout the day.
If you are looking for more delicious recipes, be sure to check out my Weekly Healthy Menu Plan, where I email you a dinner plan each week with dishes just like this!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 small or 2 large potatoes)
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Break apart meat and continue cooking until browned (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and allow it to melt. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from Life Love Liz