Keep reading for a step-by-step guide of the workout with pictures, videos, and descriptions of each of these exercises.
Eliminate guesswork and confusion and start seeing results.
Subscribe to Tone-and-Tighten.com and get our FREE “7-Day Workout and Healthy Menu Plan” delivered daily right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to get it.
Are you strong enough for our newest WOD?
Well, the name is almost entirely appropriate – “The Dirty Dozen” is actually a classic WWII movie from the 60’s that is one of my old man’s favorites. I thought “what more appropriate title for this workout? Kind of feels like fighting a battle!”
Today we’re doing 12 sets of 12 reps of four of my favorite bodyweight exercises. That’s right – 144 of each of the following exercises to increase strength, shred fat, and (of course) Tone and Tighten.
Two days later and I’m still walking funny… Hope you enjoy it!
WHAT ARE SOME GOOD PUSH-UP MODIFICATIONS?
Traditionally push-ups are performed with hands and toes on the ground, using your chest and arms to lower and lift your entire body off the ground. Push ups are an effective upper body exercise, but they can be tough. If you are lacking the strength or need a modified way to perform a push-up, you have a few options. Try some of these:
Knee push-ups: Perform a regular push-up but drop your knees to the floor to make it slightly easier.
Wall push-ups: Try wall push-ups by standing a few feet from a wall and leaning forward to perform a push-up against the wall.
Incline push-ups: Place your hands on the edge of a bench, chair, or table to hold yourself in an elevated position as you complete a push-up.
These variations eliminate some of the weight you need to push your whole body up and down, but they use the same range of motion and strengthen the upper-body muscles needed to do a full push-up (triceps, biceps, shoulders, chest, back, and abs). These adaptations also put less stress on your joints, so they can be good for anyone needing a lower impact exercise.
CAN YOU BUILD MUSCLES WITH BODYWEIGHT WORKOUTS?
While using weights is a great way to build muscles and strength, bodyweight workouts can be just as effective if planned well.
You may find yourself in a situation where you have limited equipment, or you travel often without access to a gym, or you just need a fast at home workout. Bodyweight workouts are the perfect solution to these problems.
Bodyweight exercises are a great way to work out anywhere with no equipment, transition quickly between exercises, and get in an effective strength training workout in a short amount of time. They are an effective way to strength train- you can build muscle, burn fat, and increase strength through bodyweight exercises.
To make bodyweight training effective you need to continually overload your muscles. Your muscles will grow as they adapt to heavier loads and harder exercises. This workout below is such a great way to challenge your muscles and push them to their limits.
Push yourself with these exercises below to get huge strength gains today.
- Come to the ground in push up position- place palms and toes on the floor, with arms straight (or rest knees on the floor for modified).
- Keep back neutral and flat.
- Drop chest until it comes close to touching the ground.
- Rise back up into starting position.
- Stand straight with legs hip-width distance apart. Keep hands in front of you or on your hips.
- With your chest and head up, bend at the hips and knees to lower down as if sitting. Don’t let your knees pass over your toes.
- Lower until your thighs are parallel with the floor.
- Straighten and stand up.
- Lay on your back with your knees bent – hands behind your head but not interlocked.
- Use your abs to pull your head, shoulders, and torso up off the floor into a sit-up position.
- Slowly return to starting position.
12 reps then move onto the next exercise
- Start in a standing position.
- Step forward on one leg and drop your weight straight down, keeping your knee just above the toe.
- Drop until your thigh is parallel to the ground and your opposite knee almost touches the floor.
- Come straight back up.
Our 8-Week Beginner’s Workout Plan features over 50 workouts, 15 healthy and delicious recipes, tips, motivation and more to help you achieve your fitness goals. Check it out here.
Follow Tone and Tighten on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube
Make it happen,