If you love chicken salad and you love avocados, then you are going to be crazy about these chicken avocado salad sandwiches. Introducing the healthy version of chicken salad sandwiches– made with avocado and Greek yogurt. With low carb and high protein, this chicken avocado salad will keep you feeling full and energized for your day.
Healthy Chicken Avocado Salad Sandwiches [Low Carb]
Keep reading to find the recipe and nutrition facts.
Eliminate guesswork and confusion and start seeing results.
Subscribe to Tone-and-Tighten.com and get our FREE “7-Day Workout and Healthy Menu Plan” delivered daily right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to get it.
If you love chicken salad sandwiches, this is the perfect healthy alternative.
Chicken salad sandwiches are great to make for easy and tasty meals, especially in the summer.
Usually chicken salads are full of mayonnaise, but this salad is made creamy with a mashed avocado and a little bit of Greek yogurt.
Perfectly creamy and perfectly healthy. If you love chicken salad and avocados, you’re going to love it. You don’t have to sacrifice flavor when you are eating healthy.
Get the recipe below.
HOW TO PICK THE BEST AVOCADO
How can you tell if an avocado is ripe?
Ripe avocados are a dark green or black color with a few spots of green, although some types of avocados are still green when ripe so you need to pay attention to touch as well as color.
To choose the best one, squeeze the avocados gently. A ripe avocado will start to feel soft and tender, but not overly mushy. If it feels firm or hard, don’t plan on using it for a few more days because it isn’t ripe yet. The harder it is the longer it will take to ripen. You can also examine the stem and see if the area is green (ripe) or brown (over-ripe).
It can be tricky, but as you learn these tips you can easily find an avocado that will be ready when you need it.
HOW TO SPEED UP THE RIPENING PROCESS FOR AN AVOCADO
Avocados can be so unpredictable. They seem hard as a rock in the morning and over-ripe by dinner time. They never seem perfectly ripe when you are ready to use them.
When you are at the store or farmer’s market, buy avocados that are in differing stages of the ripening process- some harder, some softer. That way they will ripen at different rates and you don’t have to eat them all on the same day.
To speed up the ripening process, store avocados in a paper bag at room temperature. Add a banana or apple and it will ripen even faster, between 2-4 days. Put ripe avocados in the refrigerator as soon as you buy them, or as soon as you notice they are becoming ripe. This helps to prevent them from going bad before you eat them.
If you cut open an avocado too soon and it isn’t ripe yet, you can still let it ripen and prevent it from browning. Cut the avocado in half and squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice on both sides, leave the pit inside, put the halves back together, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until it is ready.
HOW TO SERVE THIS AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD:
- Serve this on whole wheat bread, sandwich thins, wraps, pita bread, a croissant, crackers, tortilla chips, lettuce wraps, sliced cucumbers, or even dig in with a spoon.
- You can add romaine lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, diced celery, shredded kale, or even diced jalapenos or some hot sauce for a little bit of heat.
- Make this simple recipe even easier by using rotisserie chicken or this Make Ahead Shredded Chicken recipe.
Nutrition facts for Avocado Chicken Salad:
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Total Fat: 13.2 g
Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 74 mg
Sodium: 104 mg
Carbohydrates: 6.3 g
Fiber: 3.5 g
Sugar: 1.6 g
Protein: 27.6 g
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2-3 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced red onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, mash avocado.
- In a large bowl, mix together shredded chicken, mashed avocado, plain Greek yogurt, and lime juice. Depending on how you like your salad, you can add more Greek yogurt if you feel like it's too dry.
- Add diced red onion, garlic powder, dried dill, and cilantro to the bowl; stir to combine (I used a large wooden spoon). Add in salt and pepper and then adjust the seasonings as needed.
- If you have leftovers, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days (the avocado may cause a slight discoloration, but it will still taste great!).
Adapted from Healthy Liv
Love avocados? Try some of my other delicious avocado recipes on Tone and Tighten:
Also be sure to check out my YouTube channel for some great workouts:
Check out my new 8 Week Beginners Workout Guide.
A complete at-home plan to help you reach your fitness goals! 8 weeks of workouts, tips, and recipes.
Click here for all the details.