Sometimes you just need a cheesy casserole to fill you up!
I love this dish because it’s loaded with that cheesy goodness, but also lots of protein and vegetables . . . my kids loved the pasta and I loved that they were getting a lot of vegetables!
Make this dish even easier to prepare by using your made-ahead shredded freezer chicken!
And if you are looking for more freezer meals that your family will love, be sure to check out my freezer meal eBook:
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, cooked and drained
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour (can substitute with all-purpose flour)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken would work great)
- 1 zucchini, diced into very small pieces
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach, torn into small pieces (optional)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly - making sure that you get all the lumps out and the sauce is smooth. Let cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from skillet from heat and stir in cooked pasta, ½ cup of mozzarella, cooked chicken, zucchini, corn, and spinach (if using)
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through (about 20-25 minutes).
Recipe slightly adapted from The Seasoned Mom