Craving some comfort food? This delicious Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup comes together in a matter of minutes and will warm you right up! With 371 calories per serving and 30 grams of protein per bowl, you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
Sometimes comfort food has a bad reputation, but today I am sharing one of my favorite “comfort food” recipes that is easy on your waist-line.
This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup has lots of vegetables and 30 grams of protein per serving, so it will fill you up and keep you going all day long.
This is also a great soup to use after Thanksgiving if you are lucky enough to have leftover turkey! Just sub the turkey in place of the chicken and you are good to go!
How to make Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This soup could not be easier!
- Prepare the rice as directed on the package.
- In a large stock pot, saute the vegetables in butter (or olive oil) and then add in flour (I used this white whole wheat flour).
- Pour in the chicken broth and parsley, then stir until it thickens up a little bit.
- Add in the cooked rice, cooked chicken, and half and half. Add salt and pepper as desired. Serve and enjoy!
Ways to make this soup healthier:
- Add more vegetables! You really can add any vegetables that you have available. I love throwing in zucchini, diced cabbage, red potatoes, red peppers, green peppers, and basically anything else that is in my fridge.
- Use wild rice that doesn’t come in a box. For convenience, I used a wild rice boxed mix, but it did add some sodium to the recipe. You could easily buy a wild rice blend and prepare as directed. You will just need about 2 cups of cooked wild rice for this recipe.
- Leave out the half and half. I love the creaminess, protein, and fat that the half and half gives this soup, but you could easily leave it out. That would make this a dairy-free soup if you or someone in your family has a dairy intolerance.
Too busy to make a healthy dinner?
I put together this 2 Week Healthy Eating Plan with BUSY PARENTS in mind.
Every dinner can be made in the slow cooker or a freezer meals, which makes dinner a BREEZE!
Lose weight, eat good, and do it in only a few minutes.
Get your 2 Week Busy Moms Plan HERE!
More healthy soups to try:
- 1 (4-6 ounce) box Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix (I used Rice-A-Roni brand)
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare rice as directed on package. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, celery and carrots in butter until soft. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken broth and parsley. Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add cooked rice and chicken; mix well. Pour in half and half and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Recipe slightly adapted from Fantastic Family Recipes
Nutrition facts for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup:
Have you checked out my YouTube channel?
Today I am sharing how to make the easiest healthy side dishes in your instant pot!