This black bean chili is hearty and warm- perfect to fill you up on a cold day! It also has a secret ingredient that makes the soup a little more creamy and a lot more healthy: PUMPKIN. You can’t taste the pumpkin at all, but it makes this soup incredibly good – and good for you! When my wife made this for our family, she didn’t mention that there was pumpkin in it until we were all finished . . . if she hadn’t said anything, I would have never known! It’s a great way to get more vegetables and nutrients into your family’s diet, without them even realizing that they are doing it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (you can leave this out if you want)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large stock pot; stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and thinly sliced green onions.
Recipe source: Taste of Home
Items needed for recipe:
Looking for more healthy recipes?
Ground Turkey Freezer Burritos