During these cold winter months, comfort food is a must! This Chicken Noodle Soup will warm you up without packing in the calories.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken is perfect for this!)
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles or pasta (I used "wide" egg noodles)
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- chopped fresh parsley, if desired for garnish
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Add onion, carrots, and celery to pot and saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables, and cook and stir for an additional minute. Pour in broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings if needed.
Adapted from The Yummy Life