Cooler temps mean that it’s time for me to bust out the comfort food recipes . . . this chili is not only hearty, but super healthy! And using pork switches it up from your usual pork recipe!
If you are looking for more healthy recipes to keep your eating on track (even during the holidays), be sure to check out my 1500 Calorie 14-Day Healthy Eating Plan!
- 1 pound ground pork (could also use beef or turkey)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper. chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans (14½ ounces each) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a large stock pot, brown pork and onions until pork is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the garlic, peppers and celery; cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat down to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Recipe source: Taste of Home
Looking for more healthy recipes?