Sometimes comfort food (like Chicken Parmesan) can be loaded with fat and calories, but there are many ways to lighten them up and make them a little more healthy. This is one of my favorite ways to make chicken parmesan – instead of deep frying it, bake it in the oven! It still has all the flavor with a much smaller amount of calories.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can also use chicken tenders)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (powdered pizza topping cheese)
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 (26 oz) jar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Spray a 15x10x1" baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a separate bowl, combine cheeses, bread crumbs and spices and mix well.
- Dip chicken in egg, then bread crumb mixture, then egg, then bread crumb mixture again.
- Place chicken on a prepare baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top each chicken breast with a large spoonful of marinara sauce and a little bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional) and return to oven for 3-5 minutes (or until cheese starts to melt).
- Serve over whole wheat pasta with additional marinara sauce and mozzarella.
Looking for more healthy recipes?
Check out some of my favorites:
Cheesy Herb Zucchini Sticks
Southwest Quinoa Salad
Make it happen,